by Kathryn Kilpatrick, M.A. CCC/SLP
The volunteers of community and faith-based organizations are often an integral part of the support system of an older adult. Understanding ways to communicate more effectively when there are hearing, vision, speech, and/or memory problems can go a long way towards creating an environment that enhances the visitation experience for all involved.
Caregivers and elderly face holiday blues. More attention is essential for mental health, according To ElderCarelink
November 15, 2006 - ASHLAND, MA
The National Institute of Mental Health considers depression in people 65 and older to be a major health problem, with some six million seniors suffering from late-life depression, which is often magnified during the holidays. While the rest of the world is busy shopping, planning family gatherings, and attending festivities, the elderly can be easily overlooked.
Caregivers and families to face rise in elder care issues during holiday season, according to ElderCarelink
November 1, 2006 - ASHLAND, MA
A sharply increasing number of families will face rising eldercare challenges during this approaching holiday season. For out-of-town visitors, seeing the condition of their elderly relative in person may come as a shock. For those already intimately involved with caregiving responsibilities, the holidays can be a time when both the onset of winter and the emotional needs of the elderly will add to the job at hand.
Click on the links below to see helpful articles and checklists on various elder care topics.
- Assisted living providers find the Internet a productive supplement
- Desire to fill social needs for elderly changing the face of respite care
- ElderCarelink CEO quoted in USA Today on topic of elder care
- ElderCarelink Participating Providers Gain $40 Million in New Business in 2005
- ElderCarelink sponsors series of caregiving surveys to explore impact on family and professional caregivers
- Growing wave of senior citizens challenges caregivers and business community
- Out-of-pocket costs an expected part of budgeting for elder care
- Survey shows preference for elder home care